Monday, March 10, 2008

Kyle Busch



I have a confession to make. I have recently become hooked on NASCAR racing. A few years ago, you never would have caught me watching more than 30 seconds of these cars going round and round a track for umpteen laps. But the Daytona has a way of sucking you into the excitement of racing. As we watched that race, my attention was drawn to an aggressive an exciting driver named Kyle Busch. I liked the way he laid it on the line basically saying I will win or I will go out in a blaze of glory. What blows me away about these drivers is to think of what pressure they are under while out on the track. How many of us have taken a turn at 70 mph? The temperatures get pretty hot inside the cockpit and the drivers have to have nerves of steel riding inches apart at high speeds.
While watching, my two beautiful daughters are begging to watch Dora or Curious George. My wife Kim suggested that they should root for Kyle Busch because he drove the M & M car. I proceeded to tell my girls that if Kyle Busch won, then I would buy them M & M's. Immediately, the whole family became Kyle Busch fans.
Since then, my girls have been longing for Kyle Bush to win. My youngest daughter has developed a Southern twang in asking about her new favorite driver. My oldest daughter recently answered Kyle Busch when asked who the President of the United States is.
This past Sunday, Kyle Busch won his first Sprint NASCAR race in Atlanta driving the Snickers car. I will have to make a trip to the store to buy some M & M's to pay up my end of the bargain. Once the M & M debt has been paid, we will have to see how long this fascination with NASCAR lasts for me and my girls.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A few years ago I would say that you have stepped onto a slippery hill and that once you start watching nascar, who knows what other things could transform in your life. Such as the longing to wear a 'wife-beater' t-shirt and sit in a kiddie pool out back while sporting your new mullet hairdo sipping on a milwakee's best. However, I have watched a little as well, and still feel fairly normal and have discovered there are an amazing amount of folks who enjoy watching cars drive around in a circle. Sometimes I still think that unless there is a wreck, the only exciting part happens in the last 5 minutes of the three hour race. But that's okay. Thanks for sharing.