Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hi, Ho, Hi, Ho, It's Off To Work I Go...

Wow, life has been crazy with busyness for our household since the end of Christmas break. As previously stated, I am a teacher, and I will be the first to say that the perks are aplenty that come with being a teacher. (And no, the number one perk is not summer vacations. I teach driver's education during the summer which I will have to blog about at another time and day.) But one of the negatives that come with this profession is that you rarely get everything exactly the way you want it during the school day. As a result, my wife Kim (who is also a teacher) bring our work home with us.

In coming back from the holidays, the tidal wave called final assessments and grades stare us in the face. Often, my name becomes Grumpy Jim during this time of year. (I wonder what dwarf would best describe my wife during this time?) Thankfully, the end is in sight.

The sermon our pastor preached this past Sunday has come to mind at different times this week. He has been teaching a series called "Where is God when...", and this sermon was titled "Where is God When You Don't Know What to Do Next?. Pastor Dave shared that he experiences stresses at different times, but he can especially stress at night.
Sometimes, he wakes up with stress of the illogical:
Are all the doors locked?
I forgot to brush the dog's teeth!
My spleen is growing and it will explode!
Sometimes, he wakes with an overactive conscience:
Did I tell the truth today?
I sure wasn't kind to ______ today.
Sometimes, he stresses over the finances:
I'm not saving enough for retirement. Why didn't I start investing when I was 15!
I'm in a financial pit, and I don't know how to get out.
Too often, thoughts of our relationship with our family and friends consume us:
My kids are monsters.
Does my wife/girlfriend still love me?
Does anybody love me?
Pastor Dave then shared Psalm 143:8-10 with us to hear what God is trying to say to us in the midst of our worrying.

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show
me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Rescue me from my enemies, O Lord, for
I hide myself in you. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit
lead me on level ground.
We need to give our stresses away and seek protection from the forces of fear that Satan
hurls us regularly. We need to have purpose within our life seeking to align our will with
God's will. We finally need to rely on the power of the Holy Spirit rather than relying upon
our own strength.

Most of the time, I am a pretty cool and collected individual. I do not rattle to quickly. This time of year, I sometimes feel I do not know which end is up, and I am not sure if I will ever figure it out. The saddest thing is that usually I fail to go to my Savior in prayer and in his Word in the midst of this busyness. I want to thank Pastor Dave for helping to give me the proper grounding this week reminding where my true hope can be found.

I hope to be sharing more with you soon! Sweet dreams tonight!

No comments: